Cleveland Mansions

Cleveland Mansions, Maida Vale
Cleveland Mansions, Maida Vale
Cleveland Mansions, Maida Vale


We know Cleveland Mansions

Mansions Blocks did not arrive in Maida Vale until just before the turn of the century but following the construction of Lauderdale Mansions in 1897 the area welcomed a flurry of developments in an incredibly busy decade. As part of this wave Cleveland Mansions East was built between 1900 and 1902.

Mentioned in the media throughout its time, the first report mentioning Cleveland Mansions was found in The Times in 1924, reporting on an unusual event that occurred at 40 Cleveland Mansions when a burglary was attempted by a woman. This was at the home of a merchant called Leon Kaharovitch.

Whilst little has been recorded on famous – or infamous – residents of the block, 57 Cleveland Mansions was once the home of Harry Brooke, a bandleader who advertised towards the end of the Second World War – June 1945 – that he and his band would ‘play for your dance reception or wedding’. He added that one of his ‘peace time’ engagements included the sporting club at Monte Carlo. There was also an early interior designer at 18 Cleveland Mansions in 1957. She called herself an ‘interior decorating consultant’ and was possibly too avant garde for the time as she went out of business.

The only exception to the peacefulness of Cleveland Mansion’s history in the media was the ‘uproar’ reported by the Paddington Mercury in 1980. Already inflamed by a recent rent increase, the passions of the residents reached boiling point when work to empty flats (being gutted by the then landlord Freshwaters) caused excessive noise and water damage.

Cleveland Mansions was described as ‘of modern construction fitted throughout for modern convenience’. This even included coal sheds.

Today, consisting of 60 apartments, Cleveland Mansions is one of the most well-located blocks in Maida Vale, benefiting from a large selection of nearby trendy shops, cafes, bars and stylish wine bars.

Named after William Fredrick Cleveland of Maida Vale who developed parts of Paddington in the mid-19th century, some people think that the mansion block may even take its name from the Duchess of Cleveland, one of Charles II’s mistresses.

Widley Road, sometimes early on called Widley Row, was named after an estate in Hampshire owned by Robert Thistlethwaite, husband of Selina Fredrick whose family in the 18th century leased from the Bishops of London much of the land that Maida Vale is built on. Widley was approved as a road name by the local council in 1893. Had it not been approved London County Council had in reserve the alternative names of Frettenham, Honington and Ludbrook.

The Property Ombudsman