Stanbury Court

Stanbury Court brochure, Belsize Park
Stanbury Court, Belsize Park
Stanbury Court, Belsize Park

We know Stanbury Court

Stanbury Court consists of 53 flats including a caretaker’s flat. Stanbury Court was built in 1936 on the site of 99 Haverstock Hill which had previously been occupied by the house, with stables, called ‘Eagles Nest’ built in 1882.

Stanbury Court was first called Stanbury Court Mansions.

Shortly after Stanbury Court was built, in 1937 major rebuilding began on the Haverstock Hill frontage. In the 1980s Stanbury Court was owned by the Berger family group. Tenants of flats in Stanbury Court got together with Camden Council to launch a campaign in 1983 to force the Berger group to manage the block better.

In 1967 a resident of 36 Stanbury Court advertised ‘sea and yacht instruction to individual requirements for beginners, boat owners or those contemplating sea careers’, though where the lessons were conducted is not clear.

In 1993 the Eton Estate appealed against the refusal of permission for the erection of an additional floor at Stanbury Court to provide six residential units with necessary ‘elevational alterations’ and including the replacement of the existing windows together with the provision of an additional thirteen parking spaces at ground level’.

In 1997 conditional planning permission was given to Stanbury Court Management Limited to put up safety railings to surround the flat roof area.

Conditional planning permission was given to Stanbury Court Management Limited in 1998 to excavate a new patio area and install new windows at basement level in association with the creation of a new two bedroom flat.

In 1999 planning permission was granted on Stanbury Court to create a new pedestrian entrance and gate on the Haverstock Hill frontage.

Although no celebrities are recorded for Stanbury Court, well-known people in Belsize Park include the writers Jerome K Jerome (1859-1927), William Empson (1906-1984), Nicholas Monsarrat (1910-1979), and Agatha Christie (1890-1976) best known for her British crime novels, short stories and plays.

Famous Belsize Park residents also consisted of composer Frederick Delius (1862-1934); and the artists and sculptors, Walter Sickert (1860-1942), Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975) and her second husband Ben Nicholson (1894-1982), Henry Moore (1898-1986), Piet Mondrian (1872-1944), and Paul Nash (1889-1946).

The Property Ombudsman