Eton Place

Eton Place brochure, Belsize Park
Eton Place, Belsize Park
Eton Place, Belsize Park


We know Eton Place

The site of Eton Hall, Eton Place and Eton Rise is a spacious site bounded by Haverstock Hill, Eton Road, Eton College Road, and Adelaide Road. The first development on this site had been that of John Shaw (1803 - 1870), a surveyor of the estate of Eton College, which owned the area.

When the original leases began to fall in the 1930s, the villas in their long gardens were replaced by six-storeyed, five-wing brick blocks in the neo-Georgian style, designed by Toms & Partners and called Eton Hall, Eton Place and Eton Rise.

The Etons (Eton Hall, Eton Place and Eton Rise) were built in 1939 by Bell Properties Trust Limited, though a Times newspaper report of 1946 says that Eton Hall was bought by Bell London and Provincial Properties in 1945.

The architects of The Etons were Toms & Partners of Park Street, Mayfair, who shared offices with Bell Properties and were specialists in mansion blocks.

As no Electoral Registers or Street Directories were kept during the Second World War (1939 - 1945) it is not known when the first residents of the three Eton blocks moved in. However many of the flats must have remained vacant during the war as there would not have been much incentive to move into a new accommodation while enemy bombing was taking place.

Like other areas, Belsize Park suffered damage in the Second World War but, according to its 1946 general meeting, Bell London and Provincial Properties/Bell Properties Trust Limited (which included The Etons) suffered only a relatively small amount of damage from enemy actions. large and deep underground air raid shelters were built in Belsize Park during the Second World War that accommodated and protected the local residents.

In 1946 the 11th ordinary general meeting of the then owners of all of the Eton blocks, Bell London and Provincial Properties, took place in London. The company had 11 large estates in London comprising about 1,900 flats, all in blocks, together with 32 shops and 178 garages. The chairman, John Spencer, valued the company at £2,471,815 in 1939 and declared a dividend of 11% for 1946.

Even though the company value was pre-war, given the very difficult circumstances that the housing market suffered immediately after the war, obviously mansion blocks were doing very well. Several modifications to the blocks had been made immediately before the war and several of the estates had amenities such as swimming pools, bowling greens, and club rooms. Most of them were leasehold with 999 year leases granted in 1934 or 1936. The ground rents were described as ‘reasonable’.

Bell London and Provincial Properties Limited referred to Eton Place, Eton Hall and Eton Rise as having 118 flats, all with 99 year leases starting in 1935, and with no shops attached to them. The Etons’ residents have been keen from early on to write letters to The Times on a variety of subjects.

In 2005 Camden planning authority offered no objection to the installation of telecommunications equipment incorporating three pole mounted antennas and an associated radio equipment cabinet to the roof of Eton Rise.

The Property Ombudsman